Mathare ECD Chanuka!
ENHANCING EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION, DEVELOPMENT AND CARE OF CHILDREN LIVING IN THE INFORMAL SETTLEMENT OF MATHARE IN NAIROBI.
Implementation period: 2017
To increase the access to high quality early childhood education that stimulates the physical, emotional and psycho-social development and holistic care of children living in the informal settlement of Mathare in Nairobi.
The Specific objective of the project are:
- To ensure access to basic ECD infrastructure to children living in the informal settlement of Mathare in Nairobi.
- To create an environment that will stimulate the physical, emotional, and psycho-social development of children in 5 ECD centers
- To increase access to high quality early childhood development and education that is adjusted to the age and needs of young children.
- To increase the knowledge and introduce changes in attitudes and practices of caregivers towards early childhood development and education, child protection, children rights and health of children aged 3-8.
- To increase knowledge about importance of ECD among local authorities which will result in higher attendance in ECDs in Mathare.
- Construction of 3 ECD centers each comprising of classrooms, offices, kitchen, stores and toilets.
- Construction of water points in ECD centers in Mathare.
- Equipping 7 ECD centers with education materials and toys that will stimulate the development of children.
- Training for 20 ECD teachers on early childhood development and education, holistic care and cooperation with caregivers and local authorities.
- Regular coaching sessions and reflective meetings for 30 trained teachers.
- Seminars about early childhood development, education and holistic care for caregivers. Seminars will be facilitated by ECD teachers and experts involved in the project.
- Promotion of early childhood development, education and holistic care among the community members through household visits and distribution of educational leaflets.