Rarieda School for All
IMPROVING EDUCATIONAL AND LIFE OPPORTUNITIES OF CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES IN THE RURAL AREAS OF RARIEDA SUB COUNTY IN KENYA
Implementation period: 2019-2020
The main aim of the project is to improve the educational and life opportunities of children with disabilities attending schools with special units in the rural areas of Rarieda Sub County in Kenya.
- To get an in-depth knowledge about the living conditions, educational and social challenges and opportunities of children with disabilities.
- To increase access to knowledge on inclusive education to teachers working in Mbita.
- To increase access to school infrastructure adapted to the needs of children with disabilities
- To develop inclusive education methodologies and knowledge among primary schools teachers.
- To increase knowledge, change attitudes and practices among parents of children with disabilities. To assist parents through parents support groups.
- To increase knowledge about disability and initiate change in attitudes towards inclusive education among local communities representatives and authorities.
- To increase knowledge and change attitudes towards children with disabilities among pupils attending schools with special units
- To examine eyesight of at least half of the children attending 5 primary schools in Rarieda and provide eyeglasses to children identified with eye problems.
- To ensure sustainability of results achieved in 11 project school in 2017-2018 during implementation of Mbita School for All.
- Distribution of a handbook on methods and tools of inclusive education among teachers.
- Construction of 5 new learning resource centers in 5 schools with special units.
- Construction of 1 new special unit at Rachar Primary School.
- Construction of latrines at Nyakongo, Saradidi, Ramoya and Wera Primary Schools
- Renovation and adaptation of 5 schools with special units, furnishing of all special unit with adequate furniture
- Provision of new educational materials adapted to the needs and capabilities of children with disabilities.
- Inclusive education training for teachers from 5 schools with special units.
- Post-training coaching for teachers – classroom observation, individual support and reflective meetings.